Hey there, MIAPT Branch Members!
It’s been an awesome privilege to have served as Branch president this year! I’m looking forward to seeing many of you in person this month for our Annual Conference in Lansing. It will be a great chance for us to reconnect, network with new faces, learn from our amazing presenters, and celebrate MIAPT turning 26!
Here’s some interesting MIAPT history …
The seeds of the Michigan Association for Play Therapy (MIAPT) began in 1993 when Patricia Armstrong began to inquire about interest in forming a Branch of the Association for Play Therapy in Michigan. In August of 1994 a letter of application was sent to the Association for Play Therapy (APT) by Patricia Armstrong. She received the Charter of the Michigan Association for Play Therapy on October 15, 1995 at the 12th Annual APT conference in San Francisco. MIAPT was the 20th official state Branch.
Pretty, cool, huh??? Why don’t we celebrate as a Branch, and thank all the board and committee members who have served us, by actively promoting play therapy … especially during National Play Therapy Week (February 6-12)! Make sure to:
- Attend our Virtual Member Kick-Off Meeting on Sunday, February 6th at 11:00 a.m.
- Promote our free virtual workshop “Intro to Play Therapy” to any interested agencies, professionals, and schools on Monday, February 7th at 7:00 p.m.
- On Tuesday, February 8th participate in our “Show Us Some Social Media Love” contest by following, liking, and sharing on any of the MIAPT social media platforms (one point for every new follow, like, or share … get the most points and win half off a 2022 MIAPT virtual training!)
- Post a Picture of your Playroom on social media on Wednesday, February 9th
- On Thursday, February 10th reach out to at least one person to have them become a new MIAPT member!
- Post of picture of YOU playing on Friday, February 11th
- Wrap up the week on Saturday, February 12th by connecting with a fellow MIAPT member and share a kind message or small gift!
Thank you so much for this opportunity to serve the Branch. I look forward to my commitment as past-president throughout the next year as we welcome in the new board at the annual conference later this month!
Laura Hutchison, PsyD, LP, RPT-S
President, MIAPT 2021